The Darkling Thrush by Thomas Hardy Stanza-wise Explanation
Stanza 1
I leant upon household fires."
I stood leaning against a wooden gate and watched the scene outside. Frost appeared like a ghost. The last part of the winter had turned the gloomy and desolate. The light of the sun was fading fast. The tangled stems of the climbing plants lined the sky. They looked like the useless, broken lyres. Due to coldness and darkness all human beings except I had retired to their homes to sit by the fireside to warm themselves.
Stanza 2
The land's sharp features............ Fervourless as I' The sharp features of the land seemed to be the Century's (19th Century's) dead body, laid out for burial. The clouds hanging in the sky would serve as the tomb for the dead body. The wind that blew seemed to sing the funeral song. Owing to extreme cold the rhythm of conception and birth had slowed down considerably. Everybody, including myself, seemed to be devoid of zest and enthusiasm.
Stanza 3
At once a voice.......... growing gloom.
Suddenly a cheerful voice arose from among the dark twigs overhead. It was a full-throated evening song of endless joy. A weak, old thrush whose plumes have been battered by the storm was clearly going to die soon, yet it chose to pour out its heart. cheerfully in the midst of growing gloom.
Stanza 4
"So little cause .......... And I was unaware'. There were no signs of hope or joy to give any cause to the bird to sing. There was nothing on the earth, near or afar, which could have made the thrush sing so delightfully. There might be in the bird's heart some hope of good fortune about which I had no knowledge.
Comments
Post a Comment
This site is all about helping you kids study smart because for Gen Z, studying "hard" is not enough. If you feel there is any way I could improve my posts or if you have any random suggestion that might help make this more kid friendly, please don't hesitate to drop in a comment!
Be sure to check back for my response if you've asked me a question or requested a clarification through the comment section because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.